Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rocky Mountain National Park








I still haven't even began to edit the massive amounts of beautiful pictures I took on this vacation, but at least I can share a few with you that seem to stand out as some of my favorites.


My sister thought it would be nice to take us to see the Rocky Mountains while we were visiting. It was a perfect day. The entire drive up the mountain was gorgeous. It was just on the brink of rain for most of the drive, which leaves beautiful fluffy clouds. We did get a little bit of rain on the drive there, but mostly just had to deal with a bit of chill. We saw some pretty cool animals too. This first picture is of a Marmot. I had no idea what a marmot was until I met this guy. They're pretty friendly little dudes. I was able to get pretty close to him. I think he was hoping we'd throw him some food. The ground squirrels were extremely tame. They were eating right out of our hands. The Elk didn't mind us getting near them either. They just continued to graze while bunches of people were getting closer and closer to take a look and a picture. I found it fascinating that all the bulls were hanging out on one side of the mountain, and the does were on the other.


By the time we were ready to go home, the clouds were below us. We had ventured more than 11,000 ft. up the mountains. It was really cool seeing the clouds bellow over the mountain tops, by this time we were seeing just the tips of the mountains peeking through holes in the clouds.






This was a wonderful experience getting to see such a beautiful place right here in the good old U.S.A. I highly recommend going to see this park to anyone visiting Colorado...

No comments: