Friday, July 18, 2008

Just CLOWNING Around


One of the things that I think I enjoy the most about living in this area is all of the fun, family friendly events that happen all summer long. It seems that just about any night of the week, you can find entertainment in the outdoors. Weather it's music in the park, art walks, or movies in the park there is always something to do. I just think it's wonderful that the communities are so involved in creating a fun, safe environment for people to get together.


At one of these recent events, I discovered "Cosmo the Clown". Cosmo is a terrific clown. During his performance, I couldn't tell who was having more fun, him or the kids. He had the children so involved in his performance and they were absolutely mesmerized by him. He received a well deserved round of applause and encore request.



I asked Pat Cooper "Cosmo" to send me some information about himself as a clown to post on this blog. This is what I found out.

He picked the name Cosmo because it means order in latin. Ironic being that clowns are agents of chaos.


Cosmos been clowning for more than 20 years. He started out helping a out a friend named Apple Blossum the clown at an event, and has been hooked ever since.


Cosmo's training originally came from first hand experience, although he has attended many training workshops since to learn new clowning skills. His formal background is Fine Art studies at WSU. "If you ask me he's a natural."


He says " The most enjoyable part of clowning are the surprises the kids bring to every show, sometimes the best moments are when children say something that totally throws the show into a different direction."


I can tell you, Pat sat down next to me after the show and he was absolutely giddy from the reaction of the kids. This is a man who truly loves to make people smile, and it shows. His day job is working with people with disabilities. I can tell this is a man with a BIG heart.


No comments: